"CBS EVENING NEWS" NARROWS THE GAP WITH "NIGHTLY NEWS" <br />AND "WORLD NEWS TONIGHT" FOR THE WEEK BY MORE THAN <br />ONE MILLION VIEWERS EACH <br />
THE "CBS EVENING NEWS" IS THE ONLY NETWORK EVENING NEWSCAST
TO INCREASE FOR THE WEEK IN VIEWERS AND HOUSEHOLDS, GAINING 710,000 VIEWERS WHILE NBC LOSES 500,000 AND ABC DROPS 960,000
THE "CBS EVENING NEWS" IS THE ONLY NETWORK EVENING NEWSCAST TO INCREASE FOR THE WEEK IN THE ADULTS 25-54 DEMO
The CBS EVENING NEWS WITH BOB SCHIEFFER has narrowed the gap with ABC's "World News Tonight" by 1.67 million viewers and with NBC's "Nightly News" by 1.21 million viewers compared to the same week last year. In households for the week, the CBS EVENING NEWS has cut the gap with ABC to 0.6 of a ratings point compared to 1.7 ratings points for the same week last year and has halved the gap with NBC to 1.0 rating point compared to 2.0 for the same period last year. The CBS EVENING NEWS is also the only network-evening newscast to post year-to-year and season-to-date gains in total viewers and households compared to the same period last year.
For the week of April 3, the CBS EVENING NEWS increased its total viewers by +710,000 (6.95 million from 6.24 million) and increased +9% in households (4.9/10 from 4.5/9). During the same period, NBC lost -500,000 viewers (8.36 million from 8.86 million) and decreased -9% in households (5.9/12 from 6.5/14), while ABC's "World News Tonight" lost -960,000 viewers (7.83 million from 8.79 million) and decreased -11% in households (5.5/11 from 6.2/13).
The CBS EVENING NEWS has increased its total viewers in more weeks than any other evening newscast during the 2005-06 television season:
• The CBS EVENING NEWS is up in 20 of 29 weeks this season;
• NBC's "Nightly News" is down in 27 of 29 weeks;
• ABC's "World News Tonight" is down in 27 of 29 weeks and the last 26 weeks straight.
In the adults 25-54 demo for the week, the CBS EVENING NEWS is the only broadcast to post a gain, compared to the same week last year. CBS increased +13% (1.8/7 from 1.6/7), while NBC lost -8% (2.2/9 from 2.4/10) and ABC also lost -8% (2.3/9 from 2.5/10).
Season-to-date, the CBS EVENING NEWS increased its total viewers by +220,000 (7.69 million from 7.47 million) and increased +2% in households (5.4/10 from 5.3/10 from), while NBC and ABC decreased in total viewers and households compared to the same period last year. NBC's "Nightly News" lost -710,000 total viewers (9.74 million from 10.45 million) and decreased -7% in households (6.8/13 from 7.3/14). ABC's "World News Tonight" also showed season-to-date losses: it lost -920,000 total viewers (8.69 million from 9.61 million) and decreased -9% (6.1/12from 6.7/13) in households.
The CBS EVENING NEWS WITH BOB SCHIEFFER is broadcast weekdays (6:30-7:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
Rome Hartman is the executive producer of the broadcast.